WeirdSpace - Culture without borders

Site History 2011

The other years
2023 2022 2021 2020 2019 2018 2017 2016 2015 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010 2009 2008 2007 2006 2005 2004 2003

August 7, 2011: More changes. After 8½ years with Piphans, the flying eagle, I decided to retire the bird and try something new. Not sure if I'll stick with the dragon, but I rather like him. He'll most likely need some tweaking along the way. The colors on the first version are flat and my best guess is that I'll try to give the colors a more modern 3D effect.

I've also changed the encyclopedia subtitle. Two reasons really. The site has mutated into something more than an encyclopedia, and I wanted to do something that signaled anti-bigotry or at least understanding of other cultures. That dumbass who killed 77 people in Oslo two weeks ago, really ticked me off (and no, I'm not going to give him the satisfaction of being mentioned by name), and I wanted to send a signal with a little longer lasting effect than a flower or a candle.

July 23, 2011: Changing to HTML 5 was a good idea. Maintenance of the site has become a bit easier. The JavaScript I made has also been quite a success in the work with the site. I have one thing with the opening of links in a new window that I haven't cracked yet, but there is a solution. I just haven't found it yet.

I tried putting bookmark buttons on the site again. Having "like"-buttons for sites like Facebook and Google+ is supposed to be able to boost your traffic up to 20 %. With social networks being much more popular than the last time I tried, I thought I'd give it a shot. Six weeks later and no effect at all, I'm in the process of removing the code again. I'm sure it works for news sites, and possibly also for other sites, but for this site it is a waste of bandwidth. Ah, well... I gave it a shot. It would have been nice to have had a 20 % increase... even 10 % would have been nice... but it didn't work.

April 16, 2011: I've been looking into HTML 5 for the site. While the protocol isn't completely done, the browsers can still interpret the old tags and some of the new. For this site I only use the old tags, so in the end it makes no real difference, on the other hand, I might as well start changing the code.

I've also been playing around with some JavaScript. Some of the solutions for writing in fields and take language and level on the directories into account has been working rather well, so I've expanded the idea. It also reduces the number of JavaScript calls from three to one, so basically is should make the pages load faster and easier to maintain.

January 22, 2011: So I uploaded the fifth "original" book the other day. That book really took some time getting ready. The printing was poor, and the paper had turned brown and brittle. The OCR software made a lot of errors while converting the text. While I wasn't all that impressed by the story (Herredsfogedens gæster by Anna Erslev), I was rather pleased with having transferred the book.